Wednesday, April 1st, 2015
April Fools Nostalgia!
We didn't come up with a mind bending April Fools joke this year, but I thought it would be fun to reminisce about some of the old April Fools jokes over the years at BU.
- On April 1, 2002, the forums were re-branded the "m0rums" and targeted exclusively at "m0tards"
- On April 1, 2003, BeyondUnreal was taken over by the FBI and shut down
- On April 1, 2004, BeyondUnreal announced that a lite version of UT2004 title UT2004 LE was going to be released for free. Not everyone thought this was as funny as we did, and who knew that 11 years later there would be a free version of UT coming out :)
- On April 1, 2005, we posted the news that Unreal 3 had been announced. Unreal 3: Slug Saga - The Adventures of Ne'Ban had such amazing features as patented SlugFart technology. We also posted more exclusive information later on in the day.
- On April 1, 2006, we sold the forums back to IGN and they turned it into a discussion board for amazing products like McDonald's and Charmin Ultra Toilet Paper
- On April 1, 2007, w0rf was declared the winner of the Off Topic forum and the forum was closed.
- On April 1, 2008, BeyondUnreal 3.0 was released. This was probably the most popular April Fools joke we ever did, we made it into the top ten list of best April Fools jokes on many sites and we really haven't been able to figure out anything that can trump it since.
Hopefully you enjoyed seeing the fun jokes we did in the past. Maybe next year we will finally trump 2008!
Friday, March 20th, 2015
New EVE: Valkyrie Gameplay Footage Released, Blows Minds
EVE: Valkyrie, the upcoming arcade space sim from CCP Gamers (creators of EVE Online), uses Unreal Engine 4 and is designed around the Oculus Rift to create one of the flat out most mind blowing experiences you can have in gaming today. Just watch this short video and see for yourself... (You might want to have a rag around to soak up the drool)
Monday, March 2nd, 2015
Unreal Engine Free For All!
I know you have been waiting for such news, and finally your dreams have come true. Unreal Engine is now free for all to use! All Epic Games asks is that after your first $3,000 a quarter you give them a little bit too.
It seems this replaces the subscription model announced last year and could mean the next Unreal Tournament becomes a paid for product, but we will have to wait and see...
Monday, January 12th, 2015
BeyondUnreal Podcast #25: Five Controversial Issues
We are back from a long break and here is the first BeyondUnreal Podcast of the new year (yes, we are on #25 and I have been really lazy about posting news on these podcasts but we do keep doing them! Subscribe to us on Youtube to keep up with the releases).
This week we talk about a few of the more controversial issues in the game right now. Enjoy!
Thursday, November 13th, 2014
Killing Floor 2 - More Gore 2 Dev Diary
What's better than gore? More gore! In this IGN Dev Diary, Tripwire Interactive shows off more of Killing Floor 2. Much of the footage is similar to what they've shown in the past, but it looks so good and meaty that I can't help but just smile when I see it.
Check it out: